July 10, 2017
Thank you for the warm welcome that so many of you throughout the University community have extended to me since June 1. It is truly an honor for me to serve you as executive vice president for business and finance and chief operating officer, having closely watched the impressive trajectory of the U since my arrival in South Florida in 2011. The past several weeks have been engaging, challenging and insightful. This time has reaffirmed that my decision to join the U was the right one.
Communicating timely and relevant information is so important. This is even more critical during periods of organizational change. It is in this spirit that I write today to provide updates on several leadership changes within the Division of Business and Finance.
- Geoffrey Kirles, vice president and treasurer since 2015, has informed me of his plans to step down to pursue other opportunities effective July 31, 2017. In restructuring the University's investment portfolio, including endowment and pension funds and managing the University's capital structure and other treasury functions, Geoff has made numerous positive contributions to the U during his brief tenure. Please join me in recognizing and thanking him for his leadership and service and in wishing Geoff and his family the very best.
- Charmel Maynard, currently assistant vice president and assistant treasurer, will serve as our acting treasurer upon Geoff's departure. Those of you who know Charmel will likely agree this is a tremendous opportunity for him and one that I believe he is well prepared to serve. Please join me in wishing Charmel good luck!
- Aintzane Celaya, previously assistant vice president for budget and planning, has been promoted to associate vice president for budget and planning. Please join me in congratulating Aintzane on this recognition of her leadership and service to the U.
- Blanca Malagon, previously chief audit executive, has also been promoted and will serve as associate vice president and chief audit and compliance officer, combining our university-wide audit and compliance functions under one leader. Please join me in thanking Blanca for taking on this new expanded role and wishing her continued success.
- With Rudy Green's retirement, Bonnie Muschett, director of compliance and Title IX coordinator, will report directly to me.
- The U has also launched a national search for a chief financial officer, who will report directly to me. This is an unparalleled opportunity for a proven leader to strategically lead and enhance the financial infrastructure, support and planning of one of America's preeminent universities. I will keep you apprised of our progress to appoint this critical member of our team.
These changes will strengthen the Division of Business and Finance as we move forward in the coming months and years.
I look forward to working together with all of you to achieve the University's greatest potential.
Jacqueline A. Travisano, Ed.D
Executive Vice President for Business and Finance
and Chief Operating Officer